Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Written By Aaron Morosini (aka My Brother)

Ding-dong! Ding-Dong!

The sound of the doorbell early on a Saturday morning.

Scratching his head, a man slowly arises and meanders his way to the front door. As he opens the door, he sees a man panting.

The gentleman waiting at the door, sees the door open. With fear and excitement he says, "Oh great, your up. I really need to talk to you Pastor! You see, well..... I have lost everything."

The pastor of a local church, still somewhat surprised by the timing and the panting responds, "Come on in."

As they sit down together, the gentleman begins to tell the pastor that he lost his job and he doesn't know what to do. "If I don't have a job, I will lose everything", the gentleman explains.

The pastor calmly and patiently begins to ask the man several questions about the brevity of losing everything. First he asks, "Well have you lost your faith?". The man somewhat surprised, responds "No, not at all". The pastor then asks, "Then have you lost your salvation?". The man with great passion replies, "Oh gosh no". The pastor then asks him a final question, "Do you still have a family that loves you?". With a smile on the mans face he turns his head and says, "Well yes, yes I do."

The pastor comes to a conclusion and tells the man, "Well if you have your faith, salvation, and family that loves you, what have you really lost?" The man then responds,"If you look at that way, I haven't lost anything."

You'll have to forgive me folks, because I didn't create this story. It was a story told by Max Lucado, but a true story none the less, I just added my own flavor to it. But what I do like about is that it offers one thing: perspective.

As people we to often get excited, angry, fearful, joyous or sad over the non-essentials in life. And yes, I am a victim of it as you are. Just in different realms.

To me humanity is still the same as it has always has been, sheep looking for a shepherd. And to any extreme they will follow, whether they are Christian, Muslim, Communist, Nazi, or American. We as sheep will follow to our own doom. Instead of looking to the actual shepherd in Jesus we turn to men. Men who are just that, men.

But at the end of the day, the picture is still far bigger then we can possibly imagine, and no matter who is in power on earth, if we have three things: our faith, salvation, and a family that loves us, don't we everything anyway?

No comments: